Friday 30 November 2012

Betrayal

Benedict Arnold, was a man who betrayed his country. Though he did bring a few successes to the US army, he went down in history as one of the biggest traitors after Judas. He might have had reasons to support his plot against his own men, reasons that I don't know entirely of. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't understand them. But those reasons, might still not justify what he did.

As I thought more about betrayal, I couldn't figure out why one would ever do a sort of thing. To betray the ones you work with definitely has to be a crime. And to betray those who trust you is an unforgivable act.

Trust is a crucial part of our lives. But to trust a person is not a tiny thing to do. Family is usually the first to gain one's trust. Then follows friends. A relationship based on this faith is fragile. So fragile, that a tiny bump in the road is magnified to the size of a trench. I guess this probably is the downside of human ties.

In my post Every little thing, I said even a small smirk or an insulting remark causes an affect on the receiver. When that sort of a comment is made by people close to you, it has its consequences. The small, petty stuff are easily overcome. But a big issue like going behind a friend's back, and doing an activity that would hurt them, comes with trouble. This sort of an action causes a big mess, especially when its done knowing that it would hurt that friend.

Like I said, they might have their reasons. Reasons that makes sense only to them. But I just can't seem to get my head wrapped around the force that impulses them to carry out that deceit. How do they go forth to do such a terrible task? Are they oblivious to their conscience? Do you remember those cartoons of an angel and a devil, one on each shoulder, when a person is about to do something wrong? Well, in case of traitors, its as if the angel is choking on its own tongue! I think, in order to ever understand what provokes one to deceive another, you have to be of the same mentality.

Not to brag, but I am a sort of person who commits a lot in any sort of relationship. I like going beyond my limits to help out people. In return I do not expect much from friends or family. I do not expect them to even greet me on my birthday, let alone present me with gifts. But what do want is their loyalty towards me. Loyalty is some thing that holds a position of immense importance to me. Perhaps, this is why I love dogs. My pet, Bubbly!

When I think about people who can betray ones close to them, I feel disgusted. The only thing that lifts me up, is the thought that my true friends and my family would never do such a thing to me. At moments like this, I realise how nice it is to have people you can count on, to always by your side when you need it. Makes me feel happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment