Sunday 9 September 2012

Good ways to spend your holidays!

Well if you are a student like moi, then you are not new to spending boring afternoons during your vacation with absolutely nothing to do. Well say good bye to lazy days, because I know how to make the best of your holidays!

I am an engineering student. So I enjoy a generous three months of vacation provided by my college between academic years. How did I enjoy those months? Most of my friends spent their holidays eating and sleeping. But there is a huge problem with this "colorful" plan of their's, that is, the regret that follows the vacations. Having noticed that defect in that plan at the start, I tried making most of all my days.

My father is an Engineer. So, I did a sort of internship at his office for a month. I learnt a lot over that month. I would say it was a month spent more than well. If you are a student, I suggest you take up a learning course. It could be anything. A new language, calligraphy, writing, drawing. Or you could take up a dance or music class. Anything that pleases your mind. I have friends who joined aerobics classes, swimming classes and gyms to trim up. And boy, did it work(for most of them)!

I started this blog during my holidays. It has helped me. I spent a lot of my free time thinking of what to write, of what inspires me. This blog has helped me organise my thoughts more efficiently. If you are interested in writing, a blog is a great way to pass time. Even if you are just a person who has a lot to say but not many to say it to, a blog is the right way to go. Writing is a great way of utilizing time. If you enjoy stories, then write one!

During my vacation I started looking into digital art. My previous post is a good example of digital art. Its very tedious work. But the end result makes you feel it was worth it. Art is time consuming. Heck any type of work is time consuming. But if you dig it (like The Beatles say), then you won't notice the clock tick by.

Indulge your creative side. I redid my mum's garden during my vacation. Now looking at the garden, I feel good about the work I did. I've written about my landscaping project on this blog:
http://anything-can-be-something.blogspot.in/2012/08/landscaping-part-i.html
http://anything-can-be-something.blogspot.in/2012/08/landscaping-part-ii.html
You too can take up any activity like that. Off the top of my head, I always wanted to create a short movie of my own. Get a video camera, or rent it if you don't own one! Capture things that inspire you!

If you aren't interested in any of the above, take a vacation from vacation. Go out! It could be with friends or family. I spent a week in Mysore and another in pune during those 3 months. You can't complain when you are on a vacation away from home.

There are so many other ways you can spend your vacation. You can take up volunteer work. I have a friend who started teaching at a government school to junior highschool students. But whatever you do, you have to keep up with it. Trust me, you'll want to give up in the middle. But don't! Like I said, Perseverance is a feisty thing! And once classes start again, believe me, you'll feel really good when you notice that you used your holidays well. Happy vacations!

No comments:

Post a Comment